It was a game that had everything and the Brazilian striker - with his fifth goal in five games at home - paid tribute to his side.

"I'm proud of the boys," Bobo said. "We work hard for 120 minutes and at the end we got the result. Amazing!"

Milos Ninkovic drew first blood for the harbour-siders (19') before Nikola Mileusnic levelled the ledger (67'), sending the final into extra time for the first time in its short history.

With the teams deadlocked, a Adrian Mierzejewski free kick picked out the head of Bobo who buried the winner (111') less than 10  minutes remaining to seal the win.

Mierzejewski, who was returned to the starting XI after fitness troubles, walked away with the Mark Viduka Medal.

The result, in front of a crowd of 13,452, sees Sydney take a cleansweep of the 2017 trophies after winning the Premiership- Championship double, and erases the pain of falling to Melbourne City in the decider last year.

Adelaide were reduced to 10 men when Michael Marrone was red carded for a bizarre incident involving a ball boy who refused to hand over the ball.

Marrone, who later apologised, knocked the boy over in his attempt to retrieve it, sparking an all-in melee on the sidelines.

At the end of the game players were out of their feet and Bobo admitted the body was in some pain: "I can't walk now but at the end we got the trophy.

"We worked hard on the set pieces in training. I'm happy for my team - we score the second goal and win."

It's the third trophy for the striker since arriving in Sydney a year and a half ago but he deflected the attention to his teammates..

"Three trophies, but not just me," he said. "It is a football team. You work together and that's why we get the results."

Sydney had a two day shorter turnaround and it was the Reds - inaugural Cup winners - who were the quickest to settle - Ryan Kitto firing into the midriff of Sky Blues custodian Andrew Redmayne.

That was all the home side needed to kick into gear and Graham Arnold's men were making hay on acres of space down the right flank.

Reds goalkeeper Paul Izzo did exceptionally well to deny Bobo in a one-on-one, only to beaten three minutes later by Ninkovic.

A disorganised United defence was no match for an Alex Brosque through that found Ninkovic who found the back of the net.  

Sydney FC probably could have had a couple more and probably wish they had after Adelaide struck back after the restart.

The warning signs were there when a delightful free kick by Ben Garuccio left Redmayne rooted to the spot as the ball smacked off the crossbar on 48 minutes.

Marco Kurz's men had more luck just after the hour thanks to a sublime first touch from Nikola Mileusnic who curled the ball wickedly pas Redmayne for the equaliser.

The Reds had the better of the first half of extra time but it was the Sky Blues who struck. Bobo with the winner to cap off an extraordinary night at Allianz