On Saturday, Western Australia posted 8/386 in an impressive 125 run victory over reigning champions, Victoria.

The runfest continued on Sunday when Queensland chased down New South Wales’ total of 5/305 with two overs to spare.

Cricket fans can watch Marsh One-Day Cup games, as part of Australia’s summer of cricket, live on Kayo Sports - click here for a free two-week trial!

Western Australia showed their strength against Victoria at the WACA. Western Australia won the toss and batted. Their openers got them off to a flying start. D’Arcy Short and Josh Philippe added 77 for the opening partnership before Matt Short bowled his namesake for 22.

It was 22-year-old Philippe who stamped his authority on the match, as well as highlighting his class, with a quickfire 61 off 43 balls. Victoria’s bowlers found it hard work as Cameron Bancroft, and Ashton Turner added 96 in 13 overs.

The fall of Turner’s wicket brought Marcus Stoinis to the wicket. The all-rounder struggled in the Cricket World Cup, but he laid a marker down with an impressive innings.

In 58 balls, Stoinis reached his century to help Western Australia to a massive total. Stoinis brought up his century off the last ball of the innings as Victoria’s bowlers were plundered.

Will Sutherland brought up a century of his own as the Victorian conceded 102 off his ten overs.

The Victoria response was driven by Aaron Finch who scored 33 of the first 34 runs before losing his wicket. The bowler was Jhye Richardson, returning from injury, but his five overs were smashed for 64 to ruin the quick bowler’s first game back.

Victoria’s batters were under constant pressure, due to the size of the run chase, and wickets fell at inopportune moments.  Will Pucovski, Nic Maddinson and Glenn Maxwell all got their eye in, but it needed one of them to stay at the crease.

When Maddinson fell at 8/243, the game ended as a contest and Victoria were bowled out for 261.

Queensland’s decision to bowl first was vindicated by their four wicket win over New South Wales. The wicket at Allan Border Field looked like a good batting wicket that was only going to improve as the day went on.

New South Wales started well as Daniel Hughes and Jack Edwards scored at five an over before Hughes fell to Billy Stanlake. Moises Henriques joined Edwards at the crease and the pair added 121 in 22 overs.

With New South Wales set for a large total, Queensland captain Jimmy Peirson brought back Stanlake who broke the partnership. When Edwards went, Henriques needed to anchor the innings but fell straight after.

The momentum shifted back to Queensland as the New South Wales batters were forced to take stock. Nick Bertus, on debut, played some fine shots for 69 not out but 5/305 appeared to be slightly below par.

Young Queensland openers Sam Heazlett and Max Bryant started off with belligerence before Marnus Labuschagne, fresh from his Ashes heroics, added control to the innings on the fall of Bryant.

Eventually, it was Heazlett who was undone by a slower delivery from Nathan McAndrew for 70 to break the partnership. When Labushagne and Peirson both fell with the score on 199 saw New South Wales sniff an opportunity to get back in the game.

However, the vastly experienced Joe Burns shepherded Queensland towards victory. With victory in sight, Jack Wildermuth was bowled by Shaun Abbott for 51 but it was too little too late.

Tasmania enter the tournament on Monday, against Victoria in Perth while South Australia’s bow is against Queensland at Allan Border Field on Tuesday.

Every game of the Marsh One-Day Cup will be shown live on Kayo Sports - click here for a free two-week trial!