Controversial England all-rounder Ben Stokes has landed in New Zealand.
He remains suspended following a street brawl outside a Bristol nightclub which left a man hospitalised with facial injuries.
However, on Friday he was handed a No Objection Certificate by the ECB to free him up to play first-class cricket on Canterbury.
The 26-year-old says the trip is of personal nature despite having his cricket bag with him.
He could play for Canterbury on Sunday.
English media says the ECB is trying to get Stokes back in the England team quickly after losing the opening Test in Brisbane.
“It’s believed that should UK police clear the 26-year-old over his alleged involvement in a street brawl in September, the England and Wales Cricket Board would convene a board meeting within 48 hours,” the PA report read.
“Following this, a Cricket Discipline Commission procedure - announced under ECB auspices last month - could take place.”